Child Support in Thailand

Under Thai law, parents are legally obligated to provide financial support for their children until they reach legal age. This can be settled by mutual agreement or by court order. The amount of child support should cover basic expenses such as food, shelter and medical costs.

Parents can agree on a settlement regarding this matter as part of their divorce agreement. This should be submitted to the district office for a divorce by mutual consent or to the court for a contested divorce.

Unmarried Couples

Parents are obligated to provide for their children and ensure that they are educated properly and taken care of in case of illness. The financial support given to the child is called alimony or child maintenance. This can be negotiated as part of a divorce agreement or settled through court order. The money is meant to cover basic expenses including education, food and shelter for the child. It should not be used for the parent’s personal benefit.

It is quite rare for unmarried fathers to be able to get custody of their child but it can still happen. In this case a child support dispute will have to be settled through court and the judge will consider several factors including the relative incomes of both parties, expenses, assets etc. In this scenario, it is always best to have a professional lawyer on your side. This will make the process less complicated and costly. A lawyer will also help you negotiate a good settlement for yourself.


Child support is an obligation that parents have towards their children. It can be drafted as part of a settlement agreement during divorce proceedings. This can be either mutual or contested. It should cover the child’s expenses, including food, shelter, medicines and education costs.

In Thailand, a judge will decide the amount of child support. They will look at the incomes of both parties, their assets and expenses to come up with a decision. It is important for parents to discuss this issue before they agree to a settlement.

In the event of a divorce, it is also advisable to explain the situation to children. This will help them understand that the divorce is not their fault. Children tend to internalize things, so reassurance is necessary. Parents should also make sure that their children have access to their financial records. This will allow them to verify that their children are receiving the proper amount of money.

Fathers who flee to their home country

Child Support in Thailand is similar to alimony payments and is usually provided as part of a divorce or separation agreement. It is based on relative incomes of the parents and expenses of the children. If you are unsure about your legal rights, consult a qualified family law attorney.

Parents are obliged to provide for their children, including ensuring their education and health care. If they can’t meet this obligation, they should be able to ask the court for financial assistance. This is especially true for parents who have fled to their home country.

In general, unmarried biological fathers in Thailand do not have custodial rights over their children. However, they are obligated to pay child support once they acknowledge that they are the father through the child legitimization process. They also have the option of applying for joint parental powers with the mother. Nevertheless, these are very rare cases for foreigners in Thailand. If you need help with a disputed child support case, contact a family law lawyer in Thailand.

Payment issues

Under Thai law, parents are legally bound to provide financial support for their children until they reach legal age. This can be settled by mutual agreement or by court order. The money obtained from child support should be used for the children’s expenses which include food and shelter, clothing, and medical costs. It should not be used for the custodial parent’s personal benefit.

The mother and father can agree on the amount and mode of payment in their divorce agreement or settlement. This should be certified and registered. If the noncustodial parent does not pay the agreed amount, a complaint can be filed in court for enforcement.

The mother and father can also make an arrangement to avoid going to court by signing a child custody agreement, which can be made in Thailand. However, the agreement will not be effective unless it is registered at a district office. Currently, Thailand is not party to international agreements that allow for effective cross-border enforcement of child support payments.



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *